The tabloid journalist who wrote the story that triggered the lawsuit from Prince Harry said three things after her report was described by the UK Press Awards website as “excellently well-informed”. Nominated for a journalism award.
Kate Muncy, Associate Editor mail on sundayaims to be Scoop of the Year, Investigator of the Year, and Specialist of the Year, and awards will be presented in March.
Prince Harry has sued the newspaper in February 2022 over an article Muncy wrote about his quest to restore police security while traveling to the UK.
That particular story isn’t among those she was shortlisted for the award, but there was another story related to the same issue.
If Munsey’s nomination is a blow to Harry, it could also be a hard read for Charles III, the most important subject of her three stories under consideration.
Prince Harry’s police lawsuit
The Duke has filed three lawsuits over the removal of police protection. Two are defamation lawsuits against the UK government and one against a tabloid newspaper.
The first of those was the “judicial review” of the Home Office’s decision to strip him of police protection after his existence was leaked to Muncy in January 2021.
That story is one of three that her scoop didn’t go over so well with Prince Harry, but led her to be a shortlist for Specialist of the Year for her work covering the royal family. .
After providing information to Mansey, the Duke’s legal representatives issued a statement calling for “secret timing” of the leak.
The statement read: taxpayer. “
“This was due to a leak in a British tabloid, and we feel it is necessary, in secret timing, to issue a statement correcting the facts.
The Press Awards website says:
“She has established that Prince Harry has initiated legal proceedings against the British government after the Home Office decided not to provide state-funded guarantees for Prince Harry’s visit to the UK. did.
“This revelation raises sharp questions about the relationship between the royal family and public money.”
But that was far from the end of the story. After the lawsuit’s court hearing, Manzi wrote an exclusive follow-up in February 2022 denouncing the Prince of Spin.
“Reveal: How Harry tried to keep his legal battle over a bodyguard secret….Minutes after MoS published the story, his PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the controversy.”
A follow-up sparked Harry’s defamation lawsuit against mail on sundayit is still going through the High Court.
Documents detailing the prince’s claims read:[Harry] Upset (but sadly not surprising) [The Mail on Sunday‘s] Distortion and misrepresentation of facts that violate the most basic journalistic standards and ethics. “
King Charles III and Cash for Honors Claims
But Munsey’s coverage of Charles III is perhaps more important when it comes to supporting her nomination. August 2021, mail on sunday Released significant documentary evidence in connection with his claim of cash for honors at his charity, the Prince Foundation.
The nonprofit’s former chief executive, Michael Fawcett, has been accused of offering help to Mahfouz Murray Mubarak bin Mahfouz to secure his knighthood and citizenship in exchange for donations. Charles’ office had previously suggested that the King knew nothing about the allegations.
in the meantime Sunday Times We have also published a number of exclusive articles on the subject, mail on sunday Revealed the text of a letter written on headed stationery from Fawcett to an aide to a Saudi bigwig.
The document, sent in August 2017, states: Applying for Citizenship.
“You can further confirm that we are happy to make [an] His Excellency’s request for an increase in personnel [honor] Honor CBE to that of KBE [knighthood] As per Her Majesty’s Commission of Honor.
“Both of these applications correspond to the Trust’s latest and anticipated support and are made in relation to his continued commitment within the UK.This confirmation will allow us to move forward. I hope it is enough for you to do so.”
This story is mentioned in Mansey’s Specialist of the Year nomination, and is also the basis for his nominations for both the Scoop of the Year and Investigation of the Year awards.
The Press Awards website states: “Within hours of Manzi alerting Clarence House that he had obtained the letter, and after months of relentless investigation, a royal aide confirmed that Michael Fawcett has announced that he has resigned as chief executive officer of the Prince Foundation.
“A year later, the impact of this story can still be felt. It has also led to an investigation by the Scottish Charity Commission. This is public interest journalism at its best.”
Why Kate Munsey was nominated
Muncie will have to wait until March 8, 2023 before the winners for these three categories are announced.
The Press Awards website says:
“As well as being elegantly written and insightful, Muncie’s report is impeccably well-informed thanks to more than a decade of carefully developing our contacts and sources. .
“As a result, one of the most powerful and sometimes secretive institutions on the planet has been brought under scrutiny.”
This article strikes a somewhat different tone than the “infinite” palace leaks presented in clips from Prince Harry’s expert royal correspondent assessment and a 60-minute interview with Anderson Cooper.
The Duke said: comment. “
and in the Netflix documentary Harry & Meghan, he said: “Royal Correspondent is a title given to a select group of journalists to enable newspapers to use them and their stories in the ‘Royal Correspondent’ as credible facts.” think. extra reliability.
“That means anyone can be a royal expert. The whole point is to give legitimacy to media articles, and they get paid for it.
“And that kind of royal correspondent press corps is essentially just an extended PR arm of the royal family.”