GRILLED SHRIMP KABOBS – Juicy shrimp marinated in cumin, Italian seasoning, lemon, garlic, pepper flakes, and fresh herbs, then threaded with vibrant flavored veggies. This quick dinner is one explosive yet quick and easy, busy weeknight meal. And it’s easily customized!
It’s officially summer here in the U.S., and that takes me to full-blast grilling mode. So to kick off this summer, I’m sharing today a vibrant, quick, and easy shrimp skewers dinner. What else can I say? I’m the grill master here, so I get to choose what I want.
Shrimp skewers are actually a practical dinner option because they’re easy to prepare and can be cooked either on the grill or on the stovetop. Moreover, it’s not just all about shrimp coz this grilled shrimp recipe also has well-seasoned veggies to make it a more wholesome meal. Need I say more?
To get us off to a good start, let’s talk about the showstopper marinade that’s behind these vibrant and inviting shrimp kebabs. When it comes to making a marinade, I don’t skimp on the ingredients. This shrimp marinade actually packs a boatload of flavor from…
- Shrimp – The star of this show should be fresh and clean. You can use frozen; they should thaw while marinating them.
- Marinade – Oregano, thyme, black pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, Italian seasonings, and garlic for a fresh aroma that creates lovely flavors that pair perfectly with shrimp.
- Olive Oil – Oil keeps in moisture and improves the sear besides enhancing flavor.
- Lemon Juice – This one balances the oil and seasoning with the right acidity that complements seafood.
How to Make Shrimp Kabobs
- Prepare Skewers – Soak skewers for at least 20 minutes totally submerged in water before using to prevent burns.
- Heat the gas grill to medium-high heat. If using grill pan, lightly spray or oil to prevent the shrimp from sticking to the pan.
- Make the Marinade – In a medium bowl, combine thyme, oregano, black pepper, cumin, garlic, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, olive oil, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Prepare the Shrimp – Add shrimp to a large bowl, season with salt, then marinade shrimp with the spicy mixture.
To the Grill
- The Skewers – Thread the shrimp onto the skewers, alternating between the shrimp and vegetables. Ensure the skewer’s front is fully covered with vegetables or shrimp.
- Grill – Place skewers on grill pan or gas grill. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side until vegetables are fully cooked.
- Serve warm with salad, rice, or creamy orzo.
- Jazz – This is quite simple, but if you want to jazz it up, you may also include some lemon zest, a little bit of honey, and soy sauce. Yum yum!!
- Add Some Heat – And if you think the pepper flakes aren’t hitting that heat spot for you, then, by all means, add a bit of Tabasco or any hot sauce you have on hand into the marinade. BOOM!
- Vegan Kabobs – Replace the shrimp with oyster, portabella, or shitake mushrooms.
- Fruity Twist – Add some pineapples too for that Hawaiian-inspired grilled shrimp kabob.
Pro Tip: Don’t soak the shrimp in the marinade overnight, or they’ll get mushy. A shorter marinating time works for this recipe.
Unlike other grilled meat, shrimp cooks fairly quickly, so watch it closely. These grilled shrimp typically takes between 2-3 minutes per side on the grill – either an outdoor grill or grill pan. You can tell when they’re cooked through once they’re pink and opaque.
We don’t always have the luxury of firing up the grill. So you can cook these delicious shrimp kabobs in the oven. Simply preheat the oven to 450℉/232℃, then lightly coat the baking sheet pan with oil or nonstick spray. Place the threaded shrimp and vegetables onto the sheet and roast for 5-7 minutes, or until the shrimp is pink and the veggies are cooked.
What to Serve with Grilled Shrimp
Actually, they’re already a fun meal on their own. But if you’re making this dinner for four or hosting a backyard bbq party, you can include these other recipes below to complete your summer cookout meal.
More Fabulicious Grilled Recipes to Try
How I love the ease of grilling shrimp kabobs! Did you know you can switch out the marinade like jerk marinade for a flavor swap? What other seasoning mixes do you like with shrimp? Let me know below. 😍
Watch How to Make It
This blog post was originally published in June 2020 and has been updated with additional tips, new photos, and a video.
Grilled Shrimp Kabobs
These GRILLED SHRIMP KABOBS are juicy shrimp marinated in cumin, Italian seasoning, lemon, garlic, pepper flakes, and fresh herbs then threaded along with vibrant flavored veggies for one explosive yet quick and easy, busy weeknight meal. Quick dinner that can be easily customized!
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 6 mins
Total: 26 mins
Soak skewers for at least 20 minutes, totally submerged in water before using them to prevent burns.
Heat the gas grill to medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, lightly spray or oil to prevent the shrimp from sticking to the pan.
In a medium bowl, combine thyme, oregano, black pepper, cumin, garlic, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, olive oil, and lemon juice. Set aside.
Add shrimp to a large bowl, season with salt, then marinade shrimp with the spicy mixture.
Use some marinade to rub on the vegetables, then salt to taste.
Thread the shrimp onto the skewers, alternating between the shrimp and vegetables. Make sure the front of the skewer is covered with vegetables or shrimp.
Place the skewers on a grill pan or gas grill.
Grill for 2-3 minutes per side until vegetables are fully cooked.
Serve warm with salad, rice, or creamy orzo.
Tips & Notes:
- Can You Use Frozen Shrimp? Yes, you sure can. No need to defrost shrimp when doing so. Just make sure they are already deveined.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1skewer| Calories: 150kcal (8%)| Carbohydrates: 22g (7%)| Protein: 3g (6%)| Fat: 8g (12%)| Saturated Fat: 1g (6%)| Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g| Monounsaturated Fat: 5g| Sodium: 17mg (1%)| Potassium: 676mg (19%)| Fiber: 5g (21%)| Sugar: 6g (7%)| Vitamin A: 14741IU (295%)| Vitamin C: 89mg (108%)| Calcium: 92mg (9%)| Iron: 2mg (11%)